New York Fashion Week S/S 2011

Here I have compiled the best of what I thought New York had to offer. I realise it's late and theres no pictures for some but I still hope you enjoy! :)

Adam




Making a point that leather is going nowhere, as we have seen it on the catwalk over the past couple of seasons and thankfully it is here to stay for summer 2011 (You might get a bit sweaty but there is no way I am ready to put my leather shorts away ready for seasons to come just yet >.<) and also that the seventies are playing a major part in the way of fashion trends at the moment, with straight legged high waisted trousers , also after subtle little tones creeping in at the A/W 2010 collections. What I love about this collection is that the colour palate is so unfussy and clean and the prints are really soft, there were a few dresses that were very pretty but much more grown up than the ones than the approach designers took for summer 2010. The fabrics looked light and fresh, there were garments made out of what looks like crochet fabric (they were very nice but at the same time reminded me of doileys!)


Alexander Wang







I know that coats are the staple must have item for this winter but could Alexander Wang be the man to make sure some form of outerwear remains the object of desire? It is definitely more than likely. With a selection of jackets, cut off jackets and wrap around’s. His choice of colours is interesting starting off with outfits that were all neutral colours but layered ever so well, it then moved onto a little silver number and then moved to a soft peach to outfits that were a teal kind of colour. The texture of some of the outfits reminded my of Prada’s S/S 09 collection where some of the outfits were all crinkled. There were also wind runners, some metallic and others a clear PVC with doodles which gave them (and the shirts, jeans and dresses) that they appeared on a kind of childish/vandalised feel. Later on a few silk printed dresses with a softer feel come down the catwalk covered in scrawls and scratched off/peeling paint. The show which started with a small parade of pure white outfits, then went back to a few more outfits with their fresh minimalistic form and Nineties style with a bit of sportswear thrown in. Boy wonder Wang you just oh so naughty and even more desirable than you were before.

Alexandre Herchcovitch






I realise there is a fair bit of colour in this collection, but I don’t see it as being the main point of focus. I see the silhouette taking the centre stage a bit more especially from looking at his A/W collection which contained a mixture of frenetic, ethnic printing. Where as this season there was a lot less of that, there was still print but just not as in your face, prints which subtly faded from one colour to another in beautiful silks and other garments with prints that looked like giant splatters of paint.


Betsey Johnson





Always one to make a statement, this one being a dirty undertone with models donning necklaces saying: “ride me” The collection was to me a jumble of things being sportswear, print and frou frou/frills. One outfit in particular a pair of shorts and a bikini bra reminded me of an outfit from the film Lolita . Some models were wearing obscure little headbands with figurines on. And as ever an array of tulle and numerous prom dresses to wear.

Cathrine Malandrino

My favourite pieces from this collection are mainly the knit pieces and the outfits with a darker feel to them. (I have really been debating with myself whether or not to start dressing pretty much in all black, and the outfits that have been styled here are really starting to sway it for me.) The outfits might have all been one colour but the use of texture was so interesting and made the pieces stand out more with the knitting and weaving. All the use of print and draping reminds me of the Mulleavy sisters work.


Derek Lam





A collection consisting of denim, not only that but DOUBLE denim and making it look so chic is pretty impressive, as other designers have done yet not managed to get this level of sophistication. Seventies style shapes and the turtlenecks only helped, there were cut off trench styled dresses as well as printed and silk dresses which were understated but in the best way possible, in general a collection that was easy going and so casual, yet luxurious.

Doo.Ri








I just love the cut of the clothes in this collection as well as the use of draping. The little bit of colour that did creep in was very soft and serene, my favourite outfit is probably the sleeveless tuxedo suit.

Jason Wu







City chic mixed up with a bit of a seventies retro feel with the high waisted straight legged trousers (which are to die for by the way.) I also loved the whole look with the turbans. There was a lot of colour and grown up print, I am a very big big fan of the variety of sheer shirt’s and tops in this collection. I loved the combination of one of the outfits which was a black suit teamed with a ruffled nude coloured bra.

Jeremy Scott








This collection screams trashy. Showing that underwear as outerwear is still a trend to be reckoned with next summer Scott sent models down the runway in skimpy knicker shorts and humorous T-shirts that were supposed to look like plastic bags, it then moved onto outfits that had a bondage/wmca feel with models clad in leather and male models in leather trousers that make you think of those infamous jeans Christina Aguilara wears in her Dirty video. I write my reviews as I gradually go through the collections, so to have said that this collection is trashy and then I see looks which actually prove trash is actually the inspirations as the word is branded across a t-shirt and there is a dress which is made to look like a black bin bag, yet still remains to look remarkably cool. There are also dresses made out of what looks to be meat, which makes me wonder where Lady Gaga (cunt,cunt,cunt.) got here inspiration for her meat dress from? There was another dress made of recycled cans. Also Tibi styled boots which make you think of Margiella. Who ever thought trash could look so god damn good!?


Jill Stuart








A simply stunning collection, so romantic and fresh with a colour palate that remained mainly black, white, navy and grey but touched on shades of yellow and tan. I loved the ruffled collars and lace shirts and a nice use of print.


Marc Jacobs





OH HAIIII studio 54, a luxurious throwback to the seventies full of glamour. What I like about this collection is that you automatically know its inspired by the seventies decade from everything about the cut to the patterns and colours used yet it is possibly the most fashionable, modern and desirable take on the seventies I’ve seen to date. I absolutely loved the giant sunhats (I feel so fashion forward knowing I got mine two seasons before LULZ.) I thought it was interesting how Marc Jacobs had taken proper retro patterns that you would have seen in the seventies that look like horrid wallpaper and try and recreate the image we have of them, one of my favourite pieces has to be the printed knitted body (there was something very Missoni about it though.) The colour scheme stayed true to the era with tans and camels, burgandy’s and plums.


Marchesa








A collection that looks like it belongs in Paris Haute Couture Week, and because every outfit looks like it was made for a modern day princess :)


Peter Jensen

Although I really do enjoy the seventies nostelgia that is coming back into fashion it’s always refreshing to see something a bit different. I really liked the colour blocking in this collection, and thought the shoes were to die for and they looked especially quirky when teamed with brightly coloured socks. It is definitely a fun collection and a little bit geeky in a chic way, it reminds me a bit of Marc for Marc Jacobs and also Luella the asthetics behind that label. One of my favourite outfits was a dress which had a scalloped hem and sleeves.


Peter Som










Bold colours yet again, and again another retro kind of vibe I’m kind of thinking a bit sixties? I loved the block colours and also the contrasting of some in some outfits, for instance a shirt that’s purple and orange. This collection was made for a cool hip city girl. The prints are fun and there’s brilliantly tailored jackets, tops with slashed sleeves. Lots of girlie fun.

Philosophy by Alberta Ferretti








Inspired by all things orient and bright this collection is fun and still on trend with its choice of colours. The prints on the garments were quite interesting, all brightly coloured with the likes of Coy Karp and Japanese waves as well as Asian styled floral prints with hats to match. One dress is to die for, it bares a mandarin styled collar and the bodice looks like fish scales where as the bottom half is a bold print, another thing on why this collection is so good is that even though the prints used are bold and have a lot going on in them they aren’t to chaotic. There were Japanese styled jackets and I thought the thin belts worked quite well.


Rodarte








I have to say I’m quite impressed with the mulheavy sisters, I was beginning to question them and putting them down as one trick ponies, the use of gold was quite shocking as there normally into using darker colours, instead the models looked like gold Grecian godesses. I was also shocked to see trousers in there show and NO knit (dun-dun-duuuuuun!!)


Thakoon


A really cool, crisp, clean cut collection. Nothing fussy everything was very minimal, it was sportswear gone pretty. I usually hate snake print but Thakoon's printed dresses may have swayed me the tiniest bit.


Z spoke by Zac Pozen





Bold, bright and bee-a-you-tee-full by Zac Posen. This collection is so fun and flouncy. The collection looks like it was inspired by Africans and Aboriginals with all the prints mixed up with abstract art with the bold and sometimes clashing. I liked the knits in this, there was a bit of variety with metallic jumpers layered with knitted bra’s as well as knitted dresses (very Mark Fast.) as well as there being outfits that were preppy and girlie which is what Zac Pozen does best.

Pictures taken from Style.com

My Ping in TotalPing.com