Piers Atkinson Interview

When I first started university my tutors started going through other staff we'd have teaching us. One was Milliner Piers Atkinson who I had the pleasure of bumping into during a tutorial, his designs are a load of fun and have a whole lot of spunk (Unfortunately at the time I was looking more spaz than spunky with no face on and wearing anything that I could find on my bedroom floor....attractive.) Anyway he kindly agreed to let me send him some questions and here they are :)


You probably get asked this a lot but your mother was a milliner, was she behind the reason you chose to take up the profession as well? Either way I bet she’s very proud.

Because Mum is a milliner making hats was just a part of life at home! So hats don't seem 'scary' or 'mysterious'! Strangely making hats was so 'casual' at home I didn't really consider making them professionally until 3 years ago! She's proud but has her criticisms! As she is very traditional in her skills I think she is a bit taken aback by some of my techniques and materials!!

Were their any particular milliners that you looked or look up to?

Well I'm a huge fan of Stephen Jones and I'm lucky enough to know him. I also love the sculptural pieces by Treacy - he's like Anish Kapoor but in hats! And out of the new crowd I think Nasir Mazhar and Noel Stewart are amazing!

Your hats have a very playful element and are fun although you’re A/W 10 collection was a bit dark and had a gloomy feel. Would you say your hats are a representation of your personality or what your feeling at the time?

Yes - my general mood affects the designs! I lost my best friend to cancer and that affected my approach - I wanted to look at widows and loss!

I have to mention your collaboration with Ashish his clothes I love and I find you are on the same wavelength as your hats very enjoyable and colourful, what was it like working with him on his A/W 09 collection?

Great - Ashish is so easy to work with, he trusts me and we are on the same wavelength as you say. It's a painless experience!

Speaking of collaborations with designers is there any designer in particular that you haven’t but would love to work with?

Lots - I am reaching out as we speak!

You did a High Street collaboration with Topshop, would you ever consider doing another one and maybe also a clothing collaboration?

Maybe, if they asked me!

Your new collection “La Bell Au Bois” is really beautiful, when I researched into it’s name I found it had something to do with Sleeping Beauty, what did you take from the story for inspiration? Was it all the overgrowth that happens when she’s asleep or anything to do with one of her fairy godmothers being called Flora? And also were there any other fairytale references? As I noticed an apple headband so I thought of Snow White.

I love fairy tales as they are 'modern' day educational stories which MUST influence us all - we all share these stories in common. My main influence was that the prince fucks Sleeping Beauty awake - it isn't the kiss that arouses her!! I love that hidden subtext in our shared knowledge of that tale!!

Look 35 with the crystallised pomegranate headband is my favourite it’s absolutely amazing! What would be your favourite piece out of the collection?

Urm - for some reason its the simple floral headband that Rihanna wore!

Leading on from the previous question do you have an all time favourite out of all the headwear you’ve created?

I love the neon mouse ears from my first collection. I just love the idea that you need to plug it in!

Your creations are very bold, do you have a specific kind of woman you go for when designing?

My woman is intelligent, confident and witty!

Just out of curiosity if you could dress anyone in your hats who would it be and why?

Dames Maggie Smith and Judy Dench for the reasons above!

Moving away from your hats, you worked for Zandra Rhodes do you find it strange how you both worked together in industry and now cross paths as you both work with UCA Rochester?

Aha! Chancellor Rhodes!! I love that - it makes me laugh! We chatted about the embroidery on her robes - I'd love to see a photo..

Apart from being a milliner and a tutor for UCA Rochester you do a variety of other things such as illustration and PR. How do you manage to do all these jobs? I’m guessing you never really have time for yourself?

No I don't and it's driving me mad - however the sense of achievement when you finish a great project makes up for it all!

Being an illustrator have you thought of publishing a book of all your illustrations?

One day! I'd love to.

You set up the Daily Rubbish newspaper, which runs along side London Fashion Week. I hope to set up something like a magazine or a newspaper for the university. Have you any advice for me and anyone else who wants to set up a magazine or newspaper?

Yes - get a legal advisor!

Just a silly little question to finish off, I know you’re a party organiser amongst your other titles. So your organising a dinner party you can invite five people anyone you want dead or alive, fictional or non fictional. Who are they and why?

Anna Piaggi

Anna Dello Russo

Anna Wintour

Anna Sui

and Anna Orsini


Big thanks to Piers Atkinson for taking the time to answer my questions, heres a link to his site if you want to check it out: www.piersatkinson.com

My Ping in TotalPing.com